Sunday, January 30, 2011

Wow so much has happened these past few days, I can't even believe it. I feel quite exhausted, but it's a good kind of exhaustion, the kind that means you're living deeply and sucking the marrow out of life (to borrow a line from Thoreau.)

Viernes (Friday)

My literature class (there are only 3 of us) went on a mysterious field trip to the south of Cuenca. We were met by two native american men from Montana, a few indigenous men and women from Cuenca, our professor (who turns out to be some sort of spiritual leader of the Runa Shimi people), and a gringa hippie woman whose house it was. I'm still not 100% sure what happened, but it was basically some sort of symbolic ceremony to "unite the Eagle of the north with the Condor of the south / form a brotherhood between the native people of N. America and the indigenous people of S. America." Long story short, there was an altar, a lot of exchanging of energies, hugging, singing, blessing, smoke, indigenous dancing, new food, and music. It was an incredible thing to be a part of, I really can't even believe it. The symbolism and meaning of all those people being in one place together sharing something so sacred was really special.

Then we did some activities with the group around Cuenca, went to the fruit market, made dinner at a friend's, and went out dancing with some other students from CEDEI. (I didn't go home at all that day - craziness!)

Sabado (Saturday)

Woke up VERY EARLY to go on an intense hike through Cajas National Park. It was incredible!! Pictures will explain it better:

Hikin' babes.

Had to stop for some breathers... the altitude was about 13,000 feet...

In the clouds!

So beautiful.

The group!

This forest was the most magical place I have ever been. 

I think someone once told me that blue flowers don't exists in nature... clearly that was a LIE.

Then we all returned home and got some wonderful naps and showers. Saturday night my girl friends and I went to hear some live salsa music and danced a little bit - our dance teacher will be so proud.

Domingo - Sunday

Not so eventful =] Went to church with the fam, lunch, hanging around, homework, etc. That's all I got! I shall leave you with a lovely verse the pastor spoke about at church this morning:

"..He saved us, not because of righteous things we had done, but because of his mercy. He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit" -Titus 3:5 

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment